Thursday, January 29, 2009


Vanity almost got the best of me, and I started to not post this picture as it shows me when I thought I wanted to let my hair color go. Yep! If it was not for Loreal I would be totally whiteheaded:)
Despite my gray hair in this pic it is one of my favorite photos of my mom and sisters.

I have a huge decision to make over the next few weeks, and I ask you to join me in prayer that I make the right decision. Mother has apparently had a bad stroke, but is currently in a rehab hospital for 21 days to see where therapy will take her on the road to recovery. Her left hand is lifeless, left leg very weak and slurred speech, but according to the therapist she is trying hard in rehab. Yesterday I watched as she was helped back into the bed, and Mother was pretty much unable to assist in the process. After the 21 days it is clear she will not be able to return to assisted living and the other options are a nursing home or to move in with us.

I think back to years ago when nursing homes were unheard of, and people took care of elderly family members in their home because that is just how it was done. When daddy got sick six years ago we put him in Hospice care and he passed peacefully at home. This is in no way to belittle families that choose, for whatever reason, to place their loved ones in a nursing home, but I am struggling so hard with that option. Perhaps this is why we left Russia and Ron is now rotating to India. This gives me the option to care for my 96 year old mother at home.

Please pray with me on this by asking for wisdom to make the decision based on what's best for The Queen, and not on the fact that I have a phobia about nursing homes.

3 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

Dinia -
You all are in our thoughts and prayers. Decisions like this are so very, very difficult and I know you will make the best decision for both you and The Queen.
Many hugs!
Becky

Carey and Norman said...

Sorry to hear about your mother. We will definitely keep your family and mother in our prayers as you make a very difficult decision. May the Lord help give you peace and encouragement in the decisions you make!

Dede said...

I know how tough a decision this is for you. I'm dealing with a similar situation too. Our prayers are with you as you make your decision.