Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What a wild ride!

A little over six weeks ago we moved my mom in under Hospice with Adult Failure To Thrive. An apparent stroke had left her speech slurred and weakness on her left side. Somebody failed to tell the Queen this as in the last week I have found her laying on the bedroom floor twice, hanging on to the edge of the mattress this afternoon by a thread, and trying to climb out of her easy chair on numerous occassions. We have tried bells on the rails, monitors, and elevating the feet to make it difficult for her to scoot out of the bed. I have monitors in the bedroom and den area but she is a quiet escape artist and never makes a sound. When I found her this afternoon hanging on to the mattress she was as quiet as a church mouse. I am really concerned that if she keeps this up one day she is going to fall and really hurt herself.

So we have gone from sleeping 20 out of 24 hours in the day to trying to get up on her own several times a day. I don't want to sedate her and I will not restrain her to the bed or chair, but I do fear for her safety. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paka!

2 comments:

Dede said...

What a dilema. I can't believe she is that good at escaping. Maybe you could try some sort of motion detection alarm. Here's a link to one that I found on a quick search at Google.

http://www.alimed.com/ProductDetail.asp?style=2058Y&fprd=AliMed%26reg%3B+Motion+Detection+Local+Bedside+Alarm%2C+System+1&oid1=&oid2=

Do a Google search for "motion bed alarms" and several come up.

kate said...

Privyet! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I laughed to hear that one of your first words in Russian was "painful"!

It sounds like you're facing all sorts of different challenges now that you're home. At least you're facing them in English...

Paka.