Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pets in Heaven

It has been a couple of tough days in the Warren household, but I have to say we are so proud of our daughter. When we arrived in Memphis Ashley was outside with Murphie, and we were all happy to see him stand to welcome us to Memphis. After a brief greeting Murphie collapsed and watched the other dogs playing. It was decided that Murphie's time would be after work on Monday, and we would take him out of the kennel for a ride and visit to the park. The vet's Ashley is working with in Memphis were so kind to us as they came outside and let Murphie be surrounded with loved ones, fresh air, birds singing, and sunshine as he drew his final breath. It was so hard to see a family pet of 11 years end like that, and to not be able to stop the pain for Ashley. Ron and I are incredibly proud of the woman Ashley has grown into and know that she will be an awesome vet full of compassion for all animals great and small.

Do you think that we will have pets in Heaven? I once heard a sermon on this where the pastor gave all the Biblical references to animals from the Bible and promised to give his opinion the next week. Unfortunately, we were not able to be there that week so I did not get to hear his conclusion. I believe that there will be pets in Heaven and today Murphie probably went fishing with my Dad!

We returned to Alabama and excitement with Mother this afternoon. Yesterday we bought a yellow magnolia tree as a memory tree for our yellow lab, and was planting it while we thought Mother was asleep. We had been outside less then 30 minutes when I went in to check on her and found her sitting on the floor with her back against the bed. How she managed to get out of bed is anybody's guess, but thankfully she was not hurt. You have to love the logic of a 96 year old when asked if she was going to try that again her reply was "I don't remember doing it the first time I might try it again!" Mind you this was after her telling me there was no need to put the bed rails up as now she could get out the bottom. And the beat goes on........

5 comments:

Dede said...

Sorry to hear about Murphie. It's tough losing pets, they become one of the family. I like the idea of planting the tree.

Becky and Keith said...

I'm so, so sorry to hear about Murphie. I'm an animal lover and my heart broke just reading what you all went through. I'm glad you were able to be there with Ashley - I'm sure that meant the world to her! Love the story about your mother - at least she's telling it like it is! :-) Miss you guys!!

Carey and Norman said...

I too am sorry to hear about the loss of Murphie. I hope that dogs and animals are in heaven. I'd be sad if not as they definitely cheer me up each day when I wake up and come home from work!

Tamara said...

I, of course, definitely believe that there are animals in heaven. I think they deserve the biggest, comfiest bed :) Your bout with the Queen reminds me of my great grandmother Lucille in her final days in her home at 96. I remember my great Aunt being particularly irritated to return to her house and see a mound of silver wrappers by her chair - the remnants of a boat load of dessert squares that she had put in the refrigerator. She was so mad - they weren't good for her, she was only meant to have one per day, etc. I couldn't help but mention that at her age, my great grandmother should be able to eat whatever she wanted, it was obviously working for her!

Your mother's feisty spirit (hmm .. do I see a genetic pattern???) is working for her. Yes, it will cause you moments to pause but it will also be the moments that you remember years from now.

Y'all are amazing people and I feel so blessed to have been able to find you :) I hope the magnolia flourishes for years to come. Tamara

Moscow Musings said...

So sorry to hear about your daughter's loss of Murphie. It is one of the hardest things to do, to decide when the time has come. But people who really love their animals know that the kindest thing to do is let them go when that time comes. Think of you often here...it's snowing again, darn it!!!