Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dasvadanya Moscow!

November 15, 2003 we arrived in Moscow for the first time, and I have never been so cold in all my life as it was already snowing here and my Alabama coat and shoes were not keeping the cold away. We were fortunate to have two postings to Russia, and despite all the TNK-BP issues we count Russia as our favorite international assignment. Fast forward to August 17, 2008 and we are all packed out and leaving on the high smoker tomorrow afternoon. This past week has been a blur with packing , final good byes with expats, and one last trip to Gogul Mogul with adoptive families.

I think it's offical now that Ron and I are the older generation as we got to sit for the last photo at Gogul Mogul tonight! It has been such a wonderful experience living in Moscow, especially the last 8 months and meeting adoptive families traveling to Russia. If anyone should have any questions regarding Moscow please feel free to email us and we will do our best to be of assitance.

Hopefully, at 12:55 tomorrow we will board the Moscow-Atlanta baby flight for the states. We leave with many fond memories and a prayer in our heart for this country.

Dasvadanya Russia; it has been fun!

10 comments:

Dede said...

I wish you safe travels back to the U.S. tomorrow! I'm sure it is bittersweet for you to be leaving. We had the honor of being your first adoptive family, we can never truly tell you how much we appreciate all you did for us while we were there and what a blessing you have been for the other families. Now you are on to your next adventure!

Rob said...

We're looking forward to seeing your stateside blog posts! Safe travels!

Aaron & Dana Craven said...

Safe travels. Good luck in your next adventure. You guys are such a great couple. We are truly blessed to have met you on our adoption journey!

Christa said...

Thank you for all you have done for us adoptive parents. You are an integral part of our fond memories of Russia!

Mark and Sinziana said...

We were the second family so fortunate to meeting you in Moscow and we will always grateful for your kindness. Safe travels and good luck in your new adventures!

Becky and Keith said...

Oh, how bittersweet! I think we should do a stateside Ron and Dinia reunion! :-) I hope you are home safe and sound and are enjoying the visits with your son and daughter! I know they are excited to have their mom and dad back for a while! Keep us posted on where you'll be.

Susan said...

Safe travels to you two and enjoy your time at home with your family until BP sends you on your next adventure. :-)

Meghan, Bill and Nick said...

We so enjoyed meeting you both, glad you had a good trip back to the states. Thanks for the sweet comments on the blog. I have some pics to send and will try to do it in the next few days. We hope you're having a great US homecoming!

Over-Caffeinated said...

Oh goodness, Dinia, I can't believe you guys are here in the States! I can't believe you are only a few miles away from my family! :) My parents are coming to AL this weekend to see Gerald, Johnny and crew so don't be too surprised if my nutty family shows up on your doorstep... that would be just like Johnny Wood, wouldn't it! :) Your post made me a little teary... Moscow will definitely not be the same experience without you guys!

Tamara said...

I guess y'all are back in our country now. Just wanted to thank you so much for your hospitality and for welcoming all our friends. It's such a small world. On April 22nd at the MOE office, another couple was sitting awaiting their referral. They spoke English so I introduced myself and my husband. I saw on FRUA that she had returned for court and her pickup trip and she posted a blog link. I read her last two entries and who did she have dinner with on their last night in Moscow - Dinia and Ron. Y'all GET AROUND (the Merrill's)! It's such an amazingly small world, really. Please keep in touch. We'd love to show you around Chicago if you ever get up this way. Y'all are dear, dear people who we enjoyed immensely.

Best of luck on your new chapter, Tamara

P.S. The little miss sends you a queen's wave and the biggest smoochie ever.