Sunday, June 15, 2008

We had a great day yesterday with Michelle and Ian! The weather was prefect, despite a sudden brief downpour, and it was so much fun for us to see their excitement as they explored Moscow. Yes, we made the usual trip to Ismalava but we added a side experience into the Moscow underground since their hotel is just outside of what is called the city centre. Would they have tackled the metro on their own? Certainly, but hopefully it was a bit easier for them after watching us back up the line at the Kacca window as we struggled with the ticket purchase. Think velka Karyn!?!

The objective of today's post is to ask those of you reading for suggestions on ways we might can be of assistance. My heart has been blessed recently by the response of the ladies here in Moscow to possible future needs of couples arriving. We hope to have a brainstorming sessions soon on things we might could do to be of assistance. I have had offers of assistance for ya'll ranging from a car seat and a pack and play to use in the city to accomodations. Would a list of essential Russian vocabulary works be helpful? If you traveled in the winter to Moscow your housing was pricey, but with tourist season now in full swing housing appears to be a preminum. In no way are we trying to replace your translator/driver instead we are attempting to assist them and exhance your experiences here in Moscow. Please feel free to contact us and never think for a moment it would be a bother.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

Paka!

Dinia and Ron

5 comments:

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

Hi! Thanks for the comment on my blog. I would LOVE to have a copy of your map of restaurants around Arbat street. We still don't know exactly what days we'll be in and out of Moscow, but we'll let you know.

Here is a question for you: Since we will be bringing our bio kids with us on Trip 2, what kinds of things would be fun for a bunch of young boys (plus a baby girl) to do in Moscow? What are the "must-see" places that we can do with kids in tow?

Thanks again! Kim
kimabraham.blogspot.com

Dede said...

Hi Dinia - your idea of putting together lists of words is great. I know the few times Rob & I ventured out and attempted our Russian, the locals seemed very appreciative that we even tried to speak their language. Also, maybe some mini maps of where things are; restaurants, stores, attractions, etc. would be helpful for the families. If you end up going to Gorky park with any of the families be sure and post some pictures. That was one place I wish we could have gone but it was closed in the winter. Take care!

Tiger & Kar said...

Hi there! First off, let me apologize for not responding to your 2 emails Dinia (asking about the family photo & the "thank you" from a few days ago). I'll email you the family photo tonight, promise! Also, I find it kinda funny that you thank me & Norm for anything. You & Ron have been, and continue to be, absolutely amazing and we owe you both a world of gratitude. I don't think we'll ever be able to repay Ron's kindness.

Second, let me say how much I miss Ron & Moscow! I really wish we had been able to meet you as well, but we are so very blessed to have met your dear husband. It warms my heart just thinking about the amazing time we spent in Moscow.

I LOVE your idea of putting lists together for future families. Let me put my thinking cap on and see if I can think of anything else that might be useful to add.

Oh, one more thing. Were you using Skype when we talked to you from your apartment the night Ron made us dinner? We have a Skype account now & would love to stay in touch that way if it's possible. Let me know.

Do me a favor, give eachother a big hug. You both deserve it! Take care!

Karyn, Norm & Ilya

Susan said...

A picture "dictionary" would be helpful even if it is black and white. I'm thinking a picutre of an Exit sign and then next to it the word Exit in English. A picture of the pharmacy sign and then the word pharmacy next to it. It could be simple like that on a single piece of paper but I know there were places we would look for when we needed medicine and couldn't find the pharmacy or we were on the Metro and didn't know what way to get to the street. I love the idea of a map with restuarants b/c there were times we wanted to try someplace but didn't know if it was safe to eat there.

I think it's great how much you love to help the adoptive parents.

Heather Brandt said...

Do you help families adopting from just one agency or any agency? We are not with CHI but read about you through others' blogs. We are waiting to be registered/referral.

Thanks,
Heather Brandt
www.russianblessings.wordpress.com